Tonight I dug deep into the canopy fairing. I started by sanding down the filet until it was smooth and ready for the layers of fiberglass to come. Then I cut 7 pieces of glass fiber every 1/4 inch from ¾ all the way to 2 ¼. I made each one progressively longer starting from about 38 inches all the way up to 52, since on the outside edges you don’t need as much curve in the fairing. Basically these got layered with the thinnest one first gradually thickening up to make a smooth transition for the curve of the windscreen. I started by mixing some epoxy with flox and black dye and painted the full surface so I had a smooth black surface from the inside. Then as you can see I started with the first layer which was followed by 6 more all with black dye. When finished to where I had a fairly smooth transition I removed the yellow electric tape (but still had my PVC Pipe tape in place) to make clean edge and then applied peel ply to help stop runs and give a better finish once dried. This was pretty stressful part of the project and I will only see tomorrow what I came up with. From what I can tell it looks pretty good.
From this point forward I have days and days of sanding/filling/sanding/filling/sanding/filling.. Until it looks amazing. ;-)