After the 7 layers cured from the first session, I took some #40 grit sandpaper on the backside of a rubber sanding block and started shaping the sloped curve in the front. About an hour of sanding and it started looking pretty good. There was a lower spot through the length of the curve, which will be filled with additional coats of epoxy. I also made sure at this point to scuff up the entire forward metal surface. Then after cleaning the entire forward canopy fairing and skin, I mixed some additional dyed epoxy with micro-balloons to coat the entire area with a thick layer. This process will be replicated several times. Once this dries its back to sanding but it should be easier with the micro-balloons in the epoxy. Covering the entire front section will hide all the rivets and make it look very smooth when complete. I also buried the exposed screw heads that hold the strut block on the inside. Hope I don’t ever need to get to those in the future.
Post a Comment