I was only able to get about 1/2 hour in tonight, but it was enough to power through the firewall gussets. These guys were easily squeezed with the 3.5 inch yoke, then the 4 inch flat nose yoke for the last two in each far corner. Turned out well, for tomorrow onto more stuff. Like finishing up the top J Channel and adding the rear top skin. You can see in the pic below I have done some work on one of the J Channels. Tomorrow hopefully I will be able to continue to press on.
Search This Blog
Monday, January 31, 2011
Sunday, January 30, 2011
This weekend I did lots of odds and ends on the plane. I finished drilling the shoulder harness supports and was able to get through a priming session covering all the deck pieces. I didn't prime the side rails or canopy decks since I am thinking I might anodize these but still not sure. After the priming, I was able to rivet the aft deck in place at least all the rivets I could reach with a squeezer. I was surprised as to the rigidity that this added to the fuse. I also drilled the 1/4 inch holes for the static ports that will need to wait until I get some pro-seal before they get installed.. Next step on the list is riveting the firewall gussets.
Friday, January 28, 2011
This piece was a bit tricky. Trying to make sure that you had enough edge distance all around as well as making sure you space your pre-drilled rivet holes in the gusset appropriately around the end of the tab on the metal firewall angle. You can see in the bottom picture better what I am talking about. Also, trying to keep the drill shavings out of the firewall angles where you can't vacuum proved to be a difficult tape/paper job in itself.
|Note rivet hole spacing at the |
end of the tab on the firewall.
Wednesday, January 26, 2011
Next I started to fit and modify the gussets where the canopy attach levers slip into F-705. These are modified differently on a tip up than a slider canopy. Here I basically measured and drilled the oustide 4 corners and used a dremel and file to finish cutting the square. Still needs a bit more work, but is looking pretty good so far. I also need to match drill this to the longeron in the next working session.
Tuesday, January 25, 2011
After turning the fuse over, the next thing to focus on was the aft deck. Basically you need to level the fuse in all directions and then make sure any twist is out as you drill the aft deck. Mine was off so little that I didn't really need to put any pressure on it before clamping it to hold it in place. After I drilled all the holes in the longerons, I removed the deck and taped the spacers that I had fabricated the night before. These guys make sure the top deck has a flat surface throughout the aft section to support it before final riveting. This process went well and other than prepping and priming I am pretty much complete with the deck
Sunday, January 23, 2011
Saturday, January 22, 2011
Thursday, January 20, 2011
Wednesday, January 19, 2011
Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Continuing on the fuse. Things have slowed down a bit, but hopefully will be able to finish and flip this thing soon. I had Jason from the EAA Chapter over to help and then Bekah jumped back in and lots of progress has been made.
Thursday, January 13, 2011
Bekah and I were able to get into the garage last night for an hour or so. In general just continued riveting through the fuse. I also was able to get out the sealant and seal up the firewall. This is important so that no fumes get into the cabin from the engine compartment or fire in the case of an emergency. Basically its a layer of sealant between the side and bottom skins and the firewall. I can't rivet this yet since there are hinges that hold on the cowling down the road, so for now its just a cleco in every hole to hold it as tight as possible while the sealant dries.
Sunday, January 9, 2011
Today Bekah came out and we riveted the baggage compartment area for about an hour. I also was able to torque the bolts where the lower longeron attaches to the firewall. Next session we will be working further forward on the fuse.