This site shows the years of construction, first flights, and the continued adventures of Chad and Bekah in our RV-7
Search This Blog
Wednesday, June 30, 2010
Firewall 99.99 Percent Finished
Final assembly of the firewall went well, but took longer than I thought. I decided to squeeze all the edge rivets that I could using the longeron yoke. It worked, but took a long time because I had to slide the squeezer along and remove clecos as I went along riveting. It was tricky getting the yoke over the edges, but I did it. Looking back I should have transitioned to the Backriveting earlier. Once I started on the interior angles, the backriveting went really well and was fast. No reason not to backrivet the edge angles as well. Anyway, after about 2.5 hours of work I was beat, so everything is now riveted aside from about 2 rivets in each metal engine mount gussets. Tonight I will finish those quickly and move on to the center bulkhead again. Also, there are two rivets in the top of each floor attach angle that I might have to get Rebekah to shoot while I buck, because I just can't think of a better way to get to those.
Sorry for quality of the photos, Bekah is gone this week with the camera so I used my I-phone to snap these shots.
These first pics are of the floor attach angles going together for the final time. This was before the riveting and currently only the top two holes in the inside angle remain open.
Here are a couple pics of the 99.99 percent finished firewall itself.