Search This Blog

Monday, May 14, 2012

Misc Cowl

It’s been a while since my last update.  Things have been busy and I was out of town for a few days.  But in my spare time I have mostly been working on cowling related items.   I got the oil door riveting started.  Also, started prepping the hinges for the cowling.   After drilling the hinges into the cowling, it needs to be countersunk then the hinges need larger holes between each rivet hole, which is designed to grab the epoxy and flux mixture that gets put down below the hinges before final riveting.  The hinges would hold with just the rivets, but the epoxy/flux helps with the vibrations and together with the rivets creates a very long term solution for the cowl.

I also added lay ups over the foam on the inlet fairings.  After an initial filler job and sanding, I now have the approx. 3/8 to ½ inch gap all around the center baffle section.  This needs more filler and sanding, then more filler and sanding, followed by the same, then I will finish the interior with a thinned coat of epoxy squeegeed in place topped by some white primer suited for oils and solvents and such.   Or I may buy some fire barrier designed for this application, but I understand that is heavy, so we’ll see what finally goes in place on the interior of the cowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Places we have been in our RV-7 ! (Blue 2013, Yellow 2014, Green 2015, Purple 2016, Red 2017)