This site shows the years of construction, first flights, and the continued adventures of Chad and Bekah in our RV-7
Search This Blog
Thursday, April 21, 2011
Today I started some initial work on the front deck. My focus was the panel support angle. This is a bunch of work and is actually pretty cool when it is done, but there is no way I can think of to make this an easy piece of work. First I cut the angle, which by the way the plans indicate are "scale", but they aren't.. You need to be careful there. So I measured the angle and cut it to length. Then measured each scallop and drilled a 1/8" hole through the angle. Measured exactly 1/4 inch on the edge centered on the hole which made for a 15 degree scallop. You can see the holes and my tick marks for the angles in the first pic. Then I used my articulating mitre saw at 7.5degrees to cut down the edge of the angle to the hole. I did this for all the holes, then flipped it and did the other side. It came out pretty clean and will need a bit of deburring, but all in all it worked great.. Drilled it to the panel and it turned out pretty darn good.