This site shows the years of construction, first flights, and the continued adventures of Chad and Bekah in our RV-7
Search This Blog
Friday, November 2, 2012
Back to the Cowl.. Time to get rid of the Pink..
I decided it was time to do something with that crazy pink cowl shipped from Vans. It will take a while, but I am finally getting rid of the pink. First step was on the inside of the upper cowl. I started by sanding for an hour or so to make sure the surface was clean and smooth. Then sprayed with hose and washed with soap to clean it up, then to seal the surface I used a thin coat of standard west systems epoxy. Started with a brush and realized it was going on way too think, so a hard plastic squeegee did the trick and made the epoxy go really far. I covered the entire inside with a small cup of the stuff. Let it dry overnight in the cool garage so this morning it was dry to touch, but not fully cured.. Perfect time to hit it with some heat resistant white paint.. Since the interior of the cowl isn't critical I originally used Rustoleum heat resistant paint, but the surface came out chalky and I figured it wouldn't hold up to oil, so I got a heat resistant engine enamel from the auto-parts store and it worked great. The surface is White so that I will be able to see any grease/oil problems and it is now sealed so that nothing soaks into the cowl. After this, I will probably do the lower interior before attempting anything on the exterior of the cowl. Might as well get through the learning curve on the less visible inside.
Posted by Chad and Bekah at 8:45 AM
Labels: Cowl, Finish Kit
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment